Monday 28 September 2009

Yom Kippur 2

Yom Kippur, 5 p.m. - I saw the first two cars driving in 24hours. Since yesterday afternoon all the traffic stopped and people would either walk or ride bicycles.

As the gentile I am, I had two options for Yom Kippur: either go to the Kinneret Lake for a rebel barbecue (pork served, of course) or simply stay home, rest and work something. With my injured foot, the 3rd option of going to see how people who don't go to synagogues walk the middle of the roads and how they gather in the social centers in the city was just not possible.

I ended up staying home, so the only thing I noticed about this holiday was in fact the absolute absence of cars. I admit: I kind of enjoyed the silence. The dorms in the Technion are also almost empty because everybody goes home to "celebrate" the holiday.

Anyway, it's funny to remember the european movements that promote days without cars. Environmental friendly and stuff. Nahh.... that's no good motivation. Replace it for some religiousness and the social pressure of everybody doing it and you'll see the cleanest roads you could ever imagine.

And more, no one can have a smaller ecological footprint than a Jew on Yom Kippur: they don't drive, they don't turn on electrical devices, they don't make fire, they don't do anything, they don't even shower, they don't even eat! It's a day to make up with God.
Do that for an entire year and it will be like you weren't even here. I'm guessing you won't be...

Anyway, those two cars I saw were kind of lonely, there's no traffic yet. Let's wait another hour. Can't wait to see people and ask how does it feel after a day like this.

No comments: