Monday 8 September 2008

weekend in Haifa

The first weekend in Israel was spent mainly here in Haifa.

Friday morning was the only morning I slept since I left Portugal. (Yes, I went to bed late on Thursday...)
In the afternoon we went hiking in the Carmel National Park.


It was very good, very good, got lot's of scratches in my legs.

That is not really a cave, but is something similar. Martin took us there.


Friday night is disco time.
Didn't take pictures inside the club because I didn't have pockets and I preferred dancing. I must say it was huge but the building looked somehow like a tent, something temporary, despite being famous a Club for several years.


After a 2 hour sleep, let's go and visit one of the main touristic attractions in Haifa: the Bahai Gardens.

This garden was recently included in the list of World Heritage Sites by the UNESCO. I think the best word to describe it is unbelievable perfection! Everything is taken care, to the smallest details.
For the Bahai religion everyone is equal - there is no difference between races and the world should be united as one only country - and they only search for peace between people (hum... what about civil wars?). There's no such thing as homosexuality and women can't show shoulders or knees because that's disrespectful.

You wouldn't believe how tired I was. After going down the 653 stairs (oh yeah, six hundred and fifty three stairs) of the Bahai Garden I couldn't stand still because my legs would start shaking. It was a good idea leaving the rest of the group and going to sleep. They went downtown, to the German Colony and to the Muslim Area.
After sleeping four hours, I went to the Technion's pool for the first time. Next time I'll take some pictures. The pools are really great.

So it's Saturday. Tomorrow we all work... Let's make a barbecue!
There were the usual salads and meet: hamburgers and chicken. Did you know that somewhere in the bible is written that pigs used to be men in previous incarnations? ;)
The picture shows a drinking competition: you put 2 tampons in your mouth and then drink a beer as fast as you can. You only win if you can say: "I win!". It was worth seeing.


So, let's think again: Tomorrow we all work. Hum... let's maybe go to another club tonight.

This club was near the city. It was amazing. Huge as the other one, but much better. The dj's were also very good.
But well, we came home early.

This is Olga, and she's a great dancer.

6 comments:

Miguel said...

SHALOM!
Bring me a bottle of israeli beer!:D

fiona said...

Actually, the Israeli beer is very good. Even a little better, in my opinion, than Sagres or Super Bock. But I don't think I'll take you one, sorry.

Miguel said...

Ok, don't take me one, just bring me one.

p said...

wasn't supposed to be there to study and work?
this is only envy speaking.
carpe diem.
:)
take care
P

fiona said...

Whatever you say my friend. I'd like to take one for you or bring you one but I can't.

fiona said...

Dear Peter, today I'll post about the lab and you'll envy that too ;)